Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sitting on Excitement

Well, I'm not too sure how to start this blog. I'm excited so I just want to jump in, but I find if you go with this approach in a pool you end up shocked by a burst of cold water. I don't know if blogs are like pools, but jumping just isn't my style.

I didn't find a lot today. Google likes to send notifications that deal with stages of life I'm not looking for, like how many stages of life a dragonfly has. Yeah, that would be helpful to someone, but I don't need to get twenty notifications about it when I'm looking for bloggers. So, I've looked at a lot of nothing today.

Then there was the googling of authors from Muse & Stone. The CEO asked me to look some of the authors up because their credibility as writers is already established. I googled names to try to find email addresses. It's a frustrating process because you might be able to find the right person and still not find the information you want. My work during this part of the day was mostly looking at google links that said amazon.com then hitting the next button.

Monotony. That's what I'm going through. It's something I was thinking about earlier in the day. So much of my life is spent in ritual and, while I wouldn't be able to get along without it in most cases, it's something that drives me mad. I can sit and work on a task for hours, but I think something inside claws at my belly the whole time. Of course, this isn't really a complaint about the work I'm doing. It seems an awful lot like it because I've been staring at the computer since 11 and it's now 5. I'm just not used to working so my retelling of events comes across as being bitter. Perhaps nothing I say will make anyone think I am not bitter because I'm about to go on about this working business (does the pun come across?).

I fear work which is why I'm putting myself into it. I've never had a job before and, while I don't want to be without one when I graduate, I'm terrified of what I'll end up doing. It's never been my policy to face my fears so I'm really in uncharted waters with all of this. My internship is a great opportunity and I actually like what I'm doing. When I find blogs I really like reading them to see what different people find interesting. The thing I'm unsure about is putting myself intentionally into more monotony. That little beast scratching at my stomach wall might get larger and start to eat precious organs. I guess I'll figure out if I'm suited for this if my kidneys don't fail.

One good sign is the cause for my excitement. That's right, now we're plunging in (notice it is not a jump, more of a submerging). I got a response from someone I contacted! This news is wonderful for me on a couple of different levels. For one, my job is actually accomplishing something. I'm not just shouting into the dark anymore, somebody has held up a candle. And I'm excited about something which is out of the norm for me. One of the writers from Muse & Stone emailed me back and I really hope she signs up to be a blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment